Monday, September 23, 2013

Book, Books, Books, Pattern, Patterns, Patterns

I am a book and pattern junkie!! I love to get new ideas from other people. Maybe I don't make everything I buy, but everything I buy somehow gets into my quilting in one way or another.
Some of our customers have said that they don't feel guilty about buying books or magazines because they are a source of inspiration. They grab a pile of their books, a cup of their favorite beverage and sit down to get inspired and entertained. It's much like watching a show--entertainment not production. What a different way to approach your quilting stuff. NO GUILT!
 
 

How do you keep them organized so you can find one when you want it? That's what I need to do. Right now they are just all mixed up on the shelf and I have to look sideways to see what the title is and heaven forbid, some of them don't have titles on the sides!! Now what???

Here's some suggestions from a speaker I heard:
1. Sort them according to subject matter: applique, piecing, hand quilting, machine quilting, art quilts, specialty design techniques, blocks, embroidery, reference (like borders, bindings) and so on.

Perhaps you also have historical books or art and architecture that are inspirational books or fiction like Jennifer Chiaverini. Even though you see book/magazine dividers on my shelf....there is very little organization to my shelf at the moment. I got to get this fixed so I don't have to hunt all the time. It's very time consuming!!

What if you don't want a book anymore? Well, donate to the library for their library sale or find someone who belongs to a guild. Many people would love to own your book.

1 comment:

  1. I pull the pages out of magazines that have things on them I like, such as a pattern, idea, or block. Then I put them into plastic sleeves in binders by category as you suggested. It saves space and is easier to find what I am looking for.

    ReplyDelete